Four Class Course $50 Per Person, 12 Person Limit (2 Groups)
The Long Island Aikikai is dedicated to providing a safe space to practice the art of Aikido. Due to the current COVID19 protocols and restrictions we have in place, we cannot offer open drop in trial classes. We understand that you may wish to begin your Aikido training with us and this course is designed for students who would like to start their journey at the Long Island Aikikai. If you wish for a beginner’s experience, you can take this four week introduction course which familiarizes you with training Aikido, dojo etiquette, and our Covid protocol before you can join in our regular practice. This is to ensure that you are familiar with all of the health and safety protocols that have been implemented and will remain implemented while COVID19 is still a threat. The first four Saturdays of every month will follow the course schedule below. You may sign up at any time and start the course at any point, but you must take all four classes (in any order.)
If you wish to simply sign up for unlimited monthly classes, please click here.
After you have completed the course, if you have been vaccinated, you will be able to take any of our regular non-cohort hand-to-hand classes. If you have not, you will remain with a weapons only cohort that meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:45pm – 6:30pm.
Please sign up for this course by clicking the Pay Now button below. It will take you to our Paypal page where you can pay for and reserve your spot. Please note there are only 6 spots available, and if it has been sold put, please scroll down and sign up for our wait list.
- Familiarize each prospective member with the health and safety protocols of the Long Island Aikikai. We have found that 4 classes is the minimum number of classes it takes to make the protocols habit.
- Familiarize each prospective member with the different phases of training at the Long Island Aikikai. This is so that in the event restrictions tighten again, new members are familiar with earlier phases and can return to them easily.
- Familiarize each prospective member with the Long Island Aikikai dojo space, culture, and operations.
- Familiarize each prospective member with their instructor and their training group.
- Build up a tolerance for masked training.
Class Schedule (Saturdays at 9am for 45 Minutes Each, a second class will be opened at 11am, if the first class is full.)
- Class 1 (First Saturday of every month) – Health, Safety, and Cleaning Protocols. Introduction to the Dojo, Japanese Culture, and the history of Aikido. Solo Ukemi and Body Exercise Training. If all members of the class is vaccinated, we will also teach some hand-to-hand techniques.
- Class 2 (Second Saturday of every month) – Health, Safety, and Cleaning Protocols and Solo Weapons Training. Familiarize members with positions, strikes, and thrusts of the sword and short staff. Throwing with the sword and short staff.
- Class 3 (Third Saturdays of every month) – Health, Safety, and Cleaning Protocols and Paired Weapons Training (Jo: Short Staff)
- Class 4 (Fourth Saturdays of every month) – Health, Safety, and Cleaning Protocols and Paired Weapons Training (Bokuto: Wooden Sword)
Informed Consent and Expectations of Training
In order to sign up for this class, you must first fill out the two forms below and watch our COVID19 Protocol Walkthrough video
Minimum age of practice is 13 years old.
- Application to Train at the Long Island Aikikai.
- Watch the COVID19 Protocol Walkthrough video located at the top of this page or by clicking the link provided.
- Deposits are refundable up to 3 days before the course starts, or if the prospective member contracts COVID19/comes into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID19 and must postpone the course before the course starts. For refunds unrelated to COVID, you must contact the dojo at minimum 3 days before the course is set to begin so we may give your spot to someone on the waitlist.
- Should someone be unable to finish the course due to contracting COVID19/Coming into contact with someone who tests positive for COVID19, or other extenuating circumstances after the course begins, make-up sessions will be provided.
- All protocol classes must be completed in order to be allowed to train so if you cannot dedicate those four days, we urge you to wait until you can.
- Vaccinated students who have completed the course will be allowed to join any hand to hand class at the regular schedule, starting June 1st, 2021. (Monthly fee is $100 for unlimited classes.)
- Unvaccinated students will remain in a closed weapons only cohort where they will focus on short staff and weapons training, twice a week (Monthly fee is $75).
- Please note that willfully ignoring protocols will result in barred entry from the dojo. While we understand the protocols add a layer of complexity to training, the LIA is dedicated to maintaining a safe space to practice which requires the cooperation of all its members. No refund will be provided in this case.