Free Introduction To Aikido Class
Held on the first Sunday of every month from 9:30am-10:30am. Fully vaccinated individuals only. For ages 12 and up. (No walk-ins, sign up below!)
Our introduction to Aikido class is designed to introduce you to the etiquette, culture, techniques, and classes of a traditional Aikido school. If you were ever curious about trying the martial art of Aikido and wanted a taste of all the benefits it had to offer but didn’t want to start with the full Aikido program, then this is the class for you!
Benefits of Aikido
Aikido is a traditional Japanese martial art that combines joint locks, throws, and pins with the philosophy of blending and harmonizing with incoming forces. It can be practice slow and methodical, or fast and dynamic, and is adaptable to everyone’s specific needs (we have students of all ages and walks of life!) Short staff (jo) and Japanese swordwork is also part of the curriculum.
- Improve flexibility, balance, and stability
- Learn how to fall safely
- Physical benefits of exercise and aerobics
- Mental health and wellness
- Increase body and self awareness
- Have fun while honing new skills
- Learn about Japanese culture and traditions
- Make new friends and become part of an amazing group of dedicated practitioners
During this 1 hour class, we will cover:
- Dojo etiquette and Japanese culture
- Safe and proper ways to take falls – ukemi waza
- Common grabs and strikes
- Common techniques – nage waza – from grabs and strikes
- Introduce short staff – jo – techniques or sword – bokken/bokuto – techniques
Class Schedule (Held on the first Sunday of every month, from 9:30am to 10:30am. Doors open at 9:00am)
- First 15 minutes: Introduction, basic dojo etiquette, Japanese culture, stances, basic stretching exercises
- Second 15 minutes: Introduction backfalls and forward rolls,
- Third 15 minutes: Introduction to either one grab or one strike, and one technique from a grab or a strike
- Fourth 15 minutes: Introduction to either swordwork or staffwork.
A normal mixed rank Aikido class follows right after this class at 11:00am, and all attendees of the Introductory class are welcome to take the following regular Aikido class free of charge.
SIGN UP HERE (Both forms must be filled out prior to the class):
Please note that walk ins are not currently accepted due to space limitations due to Covid. Filling out the waiver and vaccine form guarantees you a spot at the next upcoming class. After the forms have been completed, the instructor will reach out to the email you provided to introduce themselves and answer any questions you may have.
- Our sign up sheet is also our Training Waiver form. Please select the Aikido option in the first section. Training Waiver Form
- Covid Vaccine Status form (if you can’t upload a picture of your card, just show it to the instructor when you arrive.)
Sounds like fun? We think so too! While you wait for the next class to begin, feel free to watch what we do on our Instagram!
Want to visit the facilities before committing to the course? Come find us during our normal class hours at 15 Clinton Ave, Bay Shore, NY 11706. We’re located in Western Suffolk County on the beautiful south shore of Long Island.